May is National Bike Month and it is a time where cyclists can celebrate their favorite hobby/sport/exercise together. This national recognition is sponsored by the League of American Bicyclists and is acknowledged from coast-to-coast.
Lexington has become a bike friendly environment and has created trails, clubs, and establishments where like-minded people can go. A very popular event that has gone on for a few years is Bike Lexington Family Fun Ride, where cyclists gather and bike around downtown Lexington. New this year—the ride will be held in Fall 2019.
Here is a sampling of trails in the Lexington area where enthusiasts can bike a safer route:
- Legacy Trail stretches for 12 miles from the North Side YMCA all the way to the Kentucky Horse Park campgrounds.
- Cycling through the Centuries is a trail that takes you through most of the historic places in downtown Lexington such as Hunter-Morgan House, Northside Historic District, Mary Todd Lincoln House, and more.
- Believe it or not, but the bicyclists can take the Kentucky Bourbon Trail. Visit bourbon distilleries while burning the calories you’ve gained.
- Brighton Rail Trail is a paved trail that spans 3.8 miles from Liberty Park to Deer Haven Park.
- Liberty Park Trail is 1 mile and links up to the Brighton Rail Trail. It begins right behind Liberty Elementary and can either end at Man O’War or you can go left and begin the new trial.
- Squires Road Trail is 1.3 miles and goes from Summerhill Dr to Squires road.
The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet has listed Bike Safety guidelines for all cyclists to adhere to in order to stay safe:
- Obey All Traffic Laws.
- Be Predictable.
- Stay Alert At All Times. Use your eyes AND ears.
- Look Before Turning.
- Watch for Parked Cars.
- Watch for vehicles coming out of or turning into driveways.
- Alert pedestrians that you are near by saying, “Excuse me,” or, “Passing on your left,” or use a bell or horn.
To celebrate Bike Month, here are a few upcoming bike events to check out:
- Horsey Hundred (May 25 – May 26) – start at Reid Alumni Gym at Georgetown College and will end in Georgetown.
- Kentucky Fundo (May 24 – May 28) – ride through Versailles, Woodford, Georgetown, Paris, and Lexington
- Bourbon Country Burn (Sep 27 – Sep 29) – Begin at the Bourbon Base Camp (Kentucky Horse Park) and ride to bourbon distilleries for tastings.
This article also appears on page 5 of the May 2019 print edition of Ace Weekly.
Subscribe to the Ace e-dition for Lexington news, arts, culture, food, and entertainment news delivered to your inbox.
Call today to advertise in Ace, 859.225.4889