*Traffic Notes and Street closings are at the bottom of post.
5 pm to 7 pm Blue Grass Trust Tour, includes Ace HQ, Shelby Cottage (118 Constitution)
TUESDAY JULY 3
Patriotic Concert, Transylvania/Gratz Park. Featuring the Lexington Philharmonic and Lexington Singers. 8 pm.
Think Local, Drink Local West Sixth Brewery, corner of Jefferson and Sixth.
Holiday Schedules: Lextran will be offering extended Sunday-level service on the Fourth of July. Due to the extended service, the last Transit Center pull out will occur at 11:20pm. Also, please be aware that some detours will be implemented on both July 3rd AND July 4th. You can find all those details here .
Lexington’s July 4th Festival, All Day Downtown
Celebrate Independents on Independence Day with this lineup of local bands at Phoenix Park
11:00am, The Fanged Robot
noon, Oh My Me
1:00pm, Coralee and the Townies
2:00pm Break for Lexington’s July 4th parade
FORMER UK BASKETBALL COACH Joe B. Hall is this year’s Parade Grand Marshall (Hall, head basketball coach at UK from 1972 to 1985, was recently inducted into the National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame. In 1978, Hall coached the UK Wildcats to their fifth NCAA Men’s Division I Basketball Championship. His record at UK was 297-100 and 373-156 over his career. Hall is only one of three men in basketball to win an NCAA championship as a player and a coach. He played for Kentucky when they won the title in 1949 and coached the team to their 1978 win. He played one year of varsity basketball at Kentucky before transferring to the University of the South [Sewanee] where he completed his basketball playing eligibility but did not graduate. He graduated from UK in 1955.)
4:30pm, Matt Duncan
10 pm. Downtown Fireworks.
(Update: Mayor Jim Gray announced Monday July 2 the Division of Fire and Emergency Services has issued a total ban on the use of common and consumer fireworks. The ban will remain in effect until the Division lifts the outdoor burning ban it issued last week. Gray said the ban will not affect the five fireworks public displays that already have permits, including the community fireworks held downtown on July 4, and the Red, White and Boom display on July 7 at Whitaker Bank Ballpark.)
SATURDAY JULY 7
Red, White and Boom Concert. Legends field. Broadway. Begins at 3 pm. Fireworks at 10 pm. Lineup includes Josh Turner, Darryl Worley, Kip Moore, Love and Theft, Jana Kramer, Tyler Farr, Kristen Kelly, Lauren Mink.)
Lexington Kentucky Traffic and Street Closings for July 4th Festival
Tuesday, July 3 – Third Street will be closed between Upper Street and Broadway from 5-11 p.m. and Short Street will be closed from Market Street to Martin Luther King Boulevard from 6:30-9 p.m. Wednesday, July 4.
Wednesday, July 4 – These streets will be closed at these times:
- Main Street from Midland to Mill, 5-11 a.m. for Bluegrass 10,000;
- Main Street from Martin Luther King to Mill Street, 5 a.m.–6 p.m. for street festival;
- Main Street from Midland to Broadway, 1:45-4 p.m., parade;
- Main Street from Broadway to Jefferson, 4-11 p.m., July 4th LIVE! Concert;
- Short Street from Mill Street to Martin Luther King Boulevard, 5 a.m.-9 p.m.;
- Short Street from Martin Luther King to Eastern Avenue, 7-11 a.m.;
- Midland Avenue from East Third Street to Main Street, 11:45 a.m.–4 p.m.;
- Vine Street from Broadway to Midland, 7-11 a.m.;
- Rose Street from High Street to Short Street, 7-11 a.m. and 1:30-4 p.m.;
- Quality Street from Main Street to Water Street, 5-11 a.m. and 2-4 p.m.;
- Esplanade from Main to Short Street, 5-11 a.m. and 2-4 p.m.;
- Martin Luther King from High to Short, 7-11 a.m. and 2-4 p.m.;
- Limestone Street from High to Vine, 7-11 a.m.;
- Limestone Street from Vine to Barr Street, 5 a.m.-9 p.m.;
- Upper Street from Church Street to Vine Street, 5 a.m.-9 p.m.;
- Mill Street from Short to High, 7-11 a.m. and 2-4 p.m.;
- Broadway from High to Third Street,. 2-4 p.m. and 9:50-10:30 p.m.;
- Oliver Lewis Way from Main to Manchester Street, 9:30-10:30 p.m.; and
- Leestown Road from Forbes to Newtown Pike, 9:45-10:30 p.m.